An offer from the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training Further info

Information portal of the German government
for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications

High­er ed­u­ca­tion qual­i­fi­ca­tions

For cer­tain pro­fes­sions you must have a for­eign high­er ed­u­ca­tion qual­i­fi­ca­tion recog­nised in Ger­many. For oth­er pro­fes­sions you can have your high­er ed­u­ca­tion qual­i­fi­ca­tion as­sessed.

Answers to the following questions are provided here:

  • When do I need recognition for my higher education qualification?
  • What is a statement of comparability?
  • How can I study in Germany?


Recognition of higher education qualifications

Germany has so-called regulated professions and regulated professions. If you have a foreign higher education qualification for a regulated professions you are required in each case to apply for recognition.

Regulated professions include medical practitioners, engineers and teachers. Find out which professions are regulated in the Recognition Finder. A list of all regulated professions in German is available from the European Commission website.


Statement of Comparability

If you have a foreign higher education qualification for a non-regulated profession you can work in the profession without recognition. However you can have your higher education certificate assessed. This procedure is called Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications. The tatement of comparability may be necessary if you want to enter Germany to work from a third country.

You can apply for a statement of comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). The statement of comparability describes your higher education qualification. It also certifies the professional and academic possibilities for use. This is an advantage when applying for a job. The statement of comparability is an official document which records the quality of your higher education qualification. Further information about the statement of comparability is available on the ZAB website.


Foreign academic degrees

A foreign academic degree may be used in Germany using its original name. Its conversion into a German academic degree is only possible for ethnic German resettlers. Further information regarding the use of foreign academic degrees is available on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).


Higher education courses in Germany

You are able to continue with a higher education course started abroad in Germany. The institute of higher education or the state examination office take the decision regarding recognition of your higher education and examination performances to date. It is best to contact the institute of higher education you have selected directly for information. The international student's office is responsible for this.

Would you like to start a higher education course in Germany? If so, your school-leaving certificate from your country of origin must entitle you to access higher education in Germany. And you must have recognition for this school-leaving certificate. The recognised school-leaving certificate then becomes your so-called higher education entrance qualification. With this you are permitted to study in Germany. A “Studienkolleg” (preparatory course) prepares foreign students without this recognised school-leaving certificate for study in Germany. In order to start a bachelor's programme, two to three preceding semesters are required in the country of origin

In Germany, a professional qualification may also entitle you to access higher education, for example a higher education course in the area of your vocational training. You may also be able to sit an entrance examination for a higher education course. Your professional qualification also allows you to apply to a preparatory course.

Find out about the options available to you in the anabin database of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). The website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides information about selected countries.

How do I find an institute of higher education? How do I apply for a course? Do I need a visa? Answers to these questions and further information can be found on the website “Study in Germany”.


University Educational Guidance Guarantee Fund (Bildungsberatung Garantiefonds Hochschule)

Are you under 30? If so, you can contact the University Educational Guidance Guarantee Fund (GF-H). This provides advice and support if you are starting a course in Germany or wish to continue with the course. Refugees and ethnic German resettlers are also able to apply to the GF-H educational guidance service for financial support. Financial support is available for example for language courses, special training courses and courses at a Studienkolleg (preparatory course). Further information is available on the website of the GF-H educational guidance service.

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards scholarships to international students, graduates and researchers from abroad.