Competent authority Authority

Pharmacist (m/f) or Specialised Pharmacist (m/f)?
German: Apotheker/in oder Fachapotheker/in?

Pharmacist (m/f)
German: Apotheker/in

If you hold a foreign professional qualification as a pharmacist (m/f) and wish to work in that profession in Germany, you need official, state-issued accreditation, the so-called "approbation". This approbation is an unrestricted occupational licence. It is mandatory should you wish to work in Germany in any kind of pharmaceutical field or intend to open up a pharmacy of your own. Detailed information about the issuance of an approbation and the recognition of your foreign professional qualification is available under the headings "Pharmacist (m/f)".

If you have attained additional pharmaceutical job specialisation and a qualification as a specialised pharmacist (m/f), you can apply for recognition of this specialised professional title in Germany. Detailed information regarding this recognition process is available under the headings "Specialised Pharmacist (m/f)" and the chosen specialisation.

Please note: You need approbation as a pharmacist (m/f) before applying for the recognition of your specialised title.

Which profession are you interested in?


Coronavirus: Fewer recognition services

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, some services for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications in Germany are currently not available.

You can learn more about recognition from us whenever you like. Take some time to read our information, available in 11 languages! Then you will be well informed for the next steps.

Via the Recognition Finder you can find out everything about the recognition procedure for your occupation, which documents you need and where you should send your application: › To the Recognition Finder

Our FAQ provide answers to the most common questions about recognition:  › To the FAQs

You can find out which services are not available or only available to a limited extent by checking our information page on the current situation: › To the information page