competent authorities

Welcome room at responsible authority
© Pixelwolf / Fotolia

Anyone seeking to have their professional or vocational qualifications recognised must begin by finding the correct competent authority for the recognition procedure. The “Recognition in Germany” portal will point them in the right direction.

Those wishing to have the equivalence of their foreign professional or vocational qualification assessed must contact the competent authority responsible for their occupation.

Pursuant to the Vocational Qualifications Assessment Law (BQFG), the Chambers are usually responsible for the assessment of equivalence in training occupations in the dual system. In the case of regulated occupations, i.e. professions such as doctor or nurse, responsibility depends on respective vocational and professional law and the provisions of the federal states.

You can use the Recognition Finder  to identify your competent authority.

Coronavirus: Fewer recognition services

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, some services for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications in Germany are currently not available.

You can learn more about recognition from us whenever you like. Take some time to read our information, available in 11 languages! Then you will be well informed for the next steps.

Via the Recognition Finder you can find out everything about the recognition procedure for your occupation, which documents you need and where you should send your application: › To the Recognition Finder

Our FAQ provide answers to the most common questions about recognition:  › To the FAQs

You can find out which services are not available or only available to a limited extent by checking our information page on the current situation: › To the information page