Academic / School Qualifications

The Federal Recognition Act does not cover, among other things, school qualifications, higher education entrance qualifications, academic achievements and academic qualifications that lead to non-regulated professions. The following shows what other procedures there are for recognizing these qualifications.

Diploma on a doctoral cap
© Gina Sanders / Fotolia

Recognition of Academic Qualifications

You want to begin a course of study at a German institution of higher education or have academic studies and examinations which you have taken abroad recognized?

More Informationmore

Foreign student
© Farina3000 / Fotolia

Recognition of School Qualifications

Read here under what conditions foreign school-leaving qualifications can be recognized as being equivalent to German school-leaving qualifications.

Read moremore

University graduate
© Bilderjet / Fotolia

Evaluating University Degrees

Recognition is not required for foreign university degrees which do not lead to a regulated profession. However, you may have your degree evaluated in order to improve your chances of employment.

More information on evaluating university degreesmore

Mechanic at work
© auremar / Fotolia

Study with a vocational qualification

You have a foreign vocational qualification and wish to study in Germany? The information below will tell you whether and how this is possible.

Read moremore

Coronavirus: Fewer recognition services

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, some services for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications in Germany are currently not available.

You can learn more about recognition from us whenever you like. Take some time to read our information, available in 11 languages! Then you will be well informed for the next steps.

Via the Recognition Finder you can find out everything about the recognition procedure for your occupation, which documents you need and where you should send your application: › To the Recognition Finder

Our FAQ provide answers to the most common questions about recognition:  › To the FAQs

You can find out which services are not available or only available to a limited extent by checking our information page on the current situation: › To the information page